Author Questions
Even though we have had some amazing readings this has by far been my favorite one for this class. I enjoyed it so much that I read through the whole thing in about an hour. It was impossible to put the book down. As a bisexual Cuban I could relate to a lot of what Cristy was writing and I saw myself in the text more than once. Although my family was never too religious they still had that embedded homophobia that's practically part of the culture. I eventually told my parents after years of subtly hinting at it and they didn't really care so I consider myself very lucky. I was really curious to find out how Cristy's coming out story was with her family. I know it's something people probably ask a lot but who was the first person you came out to and why did you feel like you could finally do it?

I was born and raised in Cuba, I came over in 2008 when I was 10, and by 2011 I was already going through what most would describe as the "emo" phase. I really want to know what her all time favorite Green Day song is? Punk Rock is definitely something that helped me through some really tough times in my life and I always thought it was weird that I would look for comfort in these people who had no idea I existed. It was reassuring to know that I am not the only person who basically based their whole life off of a band. Since I know Green Day and Ren and Stimpy played a big role in Cristy's life I was wondering if they also played a role in inspiring her art style? If not how did she come up with it?

I did further research and read on her website that besides her writing and her art she also teaches here and there. I found it pretty cool that that's what she went with because I think teachers like her are very needed in today's world. Was teaching what she always had in mind? and if not how did she know that's definitely what she wanted to do? Like I said I think it's great that we have such open-minded and progressive people teaching the new generations, but it only brings up the question of; has she ever gotten in trouble for her non-conformant beliefs while teaching?
No comments:
Post a Comment